Establishing a reputation as a best place to work requires leaders to have a keen understanding of diversity and inclusion’s impact on attracting and retaining diverse talent. Organizations with a culture of inclusion are able to leverage diverse perspectives – the source of innovation and growth. For those who succeed, diversity and inclusion is a core value – fundamental to who they are and what they believe.
Easier said than done.
A shifting social and political environment is forcing leadership teams to reassess the effectiveness of current strategies. Internal and external stakeholders have raised the bar on what defines success – expecting increased transparency and greater accountability for achieving outcomes. This is complicated by today’s modern communications where small missteps get quickly amplified and can raise doubts about a firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in an instant.
With more than 25 years of proven experience developing sustainable solutions, Combs Advisory Services helps leadership teams navigate today’s global and multicultural world. We serve as objective thought partners who know what it takes to not only embed diversity and inclusion into your organization but how to also achieve measurable results.
Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy Consulting Services Include:
The US Census predicts minorities will comprise a majority of the U.S. population by 2044. Is your organization equipped to attract and retain the best talent possible amid these shifting demographics?
CAS works with leadership teams to assess the effectiveness of current strategies and diagnose the root causes that impact achieving outcomes. Our goal is to identify relevant gaps and recommend course corrections capable to optimizing overall performance of your diversity and inclusion strategy. This includes understanding the drivers of attrition for diverse segments, inhibitors to creating a culture of inclusion and relying on data (facts) when tracking and measuring progress.
Having walked in our clients shoes, we believe these guiding principles are key components of successful diversity and inclusion strategies:
- Set a clear D&I vision aligned with the organization’s goals and core values
- Invest in dedicated resources who are empowered to execute programs across the enterprise
- Create accountability at all levels of the organization for achieving these goals
- Establish credibility through authentic and transparent communications
- Build trust by establishing social impact partnerships that invest in diverse communities
One size does not fit all with diversity and inclusion. Creating strategies that achieve results requires looking at all processes through a lens of diversity and inclusion. But, which ones are most important and what barriers impact the pace of change?
CAS understands what it takes to embed diversity and inclusion throughout your organization. It starts with approaching diversity and inclusion as business issue and building a business case for change. That includes demonstrating how diversity and inclusion enables achieving fundamental organizational goals like the ability to attract and retain talent, growing brand loyalty and complying with current legislative mandates.
Key components include:
- Defining the core competencies and structure needed to achieve goals
- Ensuring talent pipelines reflect communities you serve
- Mitigating the negative impact of unconscious bias in key people processes
- Increasing cultural competency to strengthen ability for managers to lead and develop across a diverse workforce.
- Strengthening engagement by fostering a culture of inclusion
- Communicating authentically to establish credibility with internal and external stakeholders
- Developing systems that measure progress and create accountability
The end result is a roadmap informed by your culture and tailored to the specific needs of your organization.
An increased focus on diversity and inclusion is forcing leadership teams to reassess the effectiveness of current strategies. Is your strategy capable of delivering results in an ever-changing political climate?
Internal and external stakeholders have raised the bar on what defines success – expecting increased transparency and greater accountability for achieving outcomes. This is complicated by today’s modern communications where small missteps get quickly amplified and can raise doubts about a firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in an instant.
CAS understands what it takes to have diversity and inclusion strategies achieve measurable and sustainable results. We look at each functional area through a lens of diversity and inclusion, relying on data to assess the current state and identify opportunities to make interventions capable to attaining specific objectives.
- Attracting Talent: Diagnose drivers leading to higher rates of attrition among diverse staff and highlight suggested solutions.
- Developing Talent: Diagnose drivers impacting attrition of diverse staff and develop interventions capable of providing effective, individualized professional development support.
- Building Diversity and Inclusion and Cultural Competency: Identify needs and develop training opportunities that raise awareness of unconscious bias and increase cultural competency to enable creating and leading diverse work teams.
- Measuring Progress and creating accountability: Establish shared ownership by setting realistic goals and using scorecards to track and measure progress. This also includes tying compensation to achieving goals.
- Increasing employee engagement and affiliation: Strengthen retention by boosting effectiveness of affiliation programs across the organization
- Effective diversity and inclusion communications and marketing: Authentically communicate an organization’s diversity and inclusion commitment with internal and external stakeholders
Top performing organizations know that leveraging best practices increases the likelihood of achieving operational excellence. But, are you using the right benchmarks when assessing your strategy?
Our objective is to complete a benchmark analysis that highlights gaps between your performance and the performance of organizations that have been recognized as best-in-class with respect to diversity and inclusion. CAS creates a framework to evaluate your existing strategy and identify opportunities for change that is calibrated to include benchmarks that are most relevant to your organization’s size, geographical footprint and industry sector. We then work with leadership teams to prioritize recommendations and identify actions that result in short ‘quick wins’ as well as long term gains.
Putting diversity and inclusion the leadership agenda is an important best practice when developing effective strategies. However, do you really know if your team is aligned and committed to enabling change?
Retreats are a way to focus the leadership team on your organization’s diversity and inclusion strategy and pause and reflect on the progress being made. It also provides an opportunity to reinforce the benefits of linking the diversity and inclusion AND organizational strategy. When you remove the distractions of the day-to-day, a leadership retreat enables the leadership team to take an honest look at the barriers standing in the way and to do so in a safe space. The time can also be used to provide training and leadership development on specific topics that serve to increase the team’s cultural competency – making them better at leading and developing diverse teams.
Our services include:
- Pre-Retreat: Align on objectives, set the agenda and conduct pre-retreat interviews with key stakeholders
- Retreat: Facilitate session
- Post-Retreat: Prepare a summary report of key themes that can also include recommended next steps related to the diversity and inclusion strategy execution
Organizations with a culture of inclusion are able to leverage diverse perspectives to fuel innovation and growth. Easier said than done.
Establishing a reputation as a best place to work requires leaders to have a keen understanding of diversity and inclusion’s impact on attracting and retaining diverse talent. For those who succeed, diversity and inclusion is a core value – fundamental to who they are and what they believe.
CAS serves as a sounding board to CEOs, executive teams, Boards of Directors, and other senior leaders, especially when they are faced with responding to challenging and often highly-sensitive issues related to diversity. We provide objective and confidential counsel as they balance the need to be seen as an inclusive leader while doing what’s best for the bottom-line.
We tailor our services to meet your needs:
- One-on-One meetings at your location (min. of 2/month)
- Conference Call meetings
- Ad hoc access to a CAS advisor for ongoing support ( 4-12 hours/month)
- Leadership Team facilitation
Diversity and inclusion practitioners hold unique roles in an organization. While the work can be extremely fulfilling, these individuals bear a huge sense of responsibility for creating more diverse and inclusive workplaces. How can you help set your team up for success?
Team dynamics are essential to achieving results regardless of the organizational structure and the functional capabilities of your team. Our services include:
- Team Building: Our team building events are designed to build relationships, improve team dynamics and create a sense of awareness of self and others.
- Skill Building: Our skill building workshops are customized to meet your needs. They are designed to focus on addressing essential business challenges such as people skills, leadership skills, leadership development, enabling change and cultural competency.
Our goal is to inspire your people to become highly effective as a team to produce outstanding results for your organization.